Corporate Trendiness

Welcome to the fashion blog of a business student, where corporate trends meet corporate trendiness.

Gel Manicure without the Damage

So I'll admit it: I got caught up in the gel manicure craze. The entire idea was so appealing. A manicure that lasts for 14 days without any dry time after it's applied? It was like my nail polish prayers had been answered.

However, there are downsides to the gel manicure. First and foremost, the direct exposure to UV light is unhealthy. Though there is a lower risk from gel manicures than from tanning beds, there is still risk associated according to the Skin Cancer Foundation  as explained in a 2013 Huffington Post Style article found here: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/03/25/uv-nail-lamps-cancer_n_2948603.html. The HuffPost article recommends applying sunscreen to your hands before your manicure, but this won't necessarily help either when you consider the fact that depending on your manicurist the arm scrub, washing, and paraffin treatments could over rule this preventative measure.
In addition to the skin cancer concern, another issue that arises is more aesthetic. Gel manicures are believed to be less damaging to your actual nail than acrylic nails, which are harsh and usually leave your nails soft and weak. But I can speak from personal experience (I've gotten gel manicures a significant amount of times) to say that my nails end up damaged after gel manicures even though I always go to the salon to have them professionally removed. That being said, your nails end up even worse if you just peel and pick the gel off by yourself.
My gel manicure obsession has started to subside. So when I was browsing through Wanelo and saw Nail Inc. Gel Effect nail polish I was intrigued. It's a nail polish with the plumping effect similar to salon gel manicures but without the UV light.
Today I headed to Sephora where I bought the Nail Inc. Gel Effect nail polish in Downtown (http://www.sephora.com/gel-effect-polish-P382712) with the Nail Inc. Kensington Caviar Gel Effect Plumping Top Coat (http://www.sephora.com/kensington-caviar-gel-effect-plumping-top-coat-P378391?skuId=1498286).
I actually really love the way my nails turned out. I'm excited to see how they last through my daily routine and how long they last.
I would recommend checking this nail polish out as a great alternative to salon gel manicures!

No comments :

Post a Comment